Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 344



Favorite part of the day? Writing block. Can't normally say this because I always feel so pulled to help everyone at once. It's really my problem and I need new strategies to fix it. However, today... I did what all teachers know is the hardest thing to do... let go. Let go of control and let the kids run the show. The kids were making "boring" sentences into "super" sentences. We worked on this yesterday and I continued it today. I find myself worried about mechanics when really I need to worry about main ideas in their writing. I realized I had a small handful that were not even understanding the directions. SO... I pulled them to the back to explain the assignment/do examples. Before doing this, I made sure everyone knew that I was busy. I told them to "read to the wall", read to a buddy, use their "Words I Use When I Write" books, etc. The one rule was... they were not allowed to come over to me to ask questions until I stood up to walk around the room. I probably sat with the handful of students for 10 or so minutes really diving into the idea of the assignment. I would often look up and see what I call a beautiful classroom... independent kids. Kids were reading to the wall. Kids had spelling books out. Kids were in my classroom library looking up words they wanted to use in their sentences. Kids were doing the buddy system of "I'll read to you and you read to me". When I was finished with my group, I didn't even have time to stand up!!!! Kids were running (yes, I know it's dangerous, but it's true--THEY RAN TO ME!) to me to show me their new and improved sentences. Kids that I didn't think knew what "helium" was were using it in their writing. Kids used two adjectives in front of nouns and remembered to add the comma. Kids made sure to not run-on their sentences (3 sentences were now separate and not 1!). Best part of all? I noticed that we went 1 minute over writing block and I said, "Oh no, I'm so sorry. I just noticed we are supposed to be outside for recess. Turn in your papers and we'll continue this tomorrow." I heard about 24 "NOOOOOOO!!!"s.... they wanted to stay INSIDE to finish them. As much joy as I felt, I decided that these bundles of joy needed outside/energy release time. Outside at recess was a hoot--kids were coming up to me and telling me what their sentences said and how they thought of new things to add for tomorrow. Overall, I'd say WOW to writing block. It felt prettttttyyy awesome. Such a teacher moment right there. Lesson learned? Step back and not worry as much about mechanics. Let the kids do more on their own and step in if needed. Wow. Just wow.

After school, I went to babysitting. Lea was fabulous as always. I'm so lucky to have such a great family to help out. Something happened tonight that I can't say for various reasons, but I will tell you it's a change about to occur in my life and I think (I hope!) it will make me happy/I won't regret my decision. I'll expand more when I know I'm allowed to speak of it :)

Good night everyone! 11:20=bedtime like hardcore.

No comments:

Post a Comment