Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Actions DO speak louder than words!

I had a meeting during specials today. We were required to get our laptops because we had to check data online. If you know me even a little , I like to check my email every other second. Don't put a laptop in front of me and expect me to not check my email :). So, I checked my email and noticed a "Bereavement" subject for the title. I always glance through these emails, but honestly, rarely do I read them. For some reason today, I felt compelled to read this one.

It was a beautiful picture of this lady and it discussed how she was a teacher in the county. After reading all of the wonderful things she has done in the teaching world, the email had a quote from her daughter, Abby. That is when it hit me. This is Abby's mom!! Abby is a girl that I went to college with at UGA. She was in my sorority and was my little teacher friend. She is a WONDERFUL special education teacher with a HUGE heart. I was fortunate enough to student teach at the same school in Athens as Abby. I got to know Abby very well through our countless hours spent at school. She told me about how her little sister was a miracle child. She also told me about how her sweet, sweet mom had breast cancer. I felt like I knew her mom because of all of the wonderful stories that Abby would tell me. She was a true gem from what I was told. Abby's mom lost her battle to cancer on Friday.

My heart weighed heavy all day just thinking about how Abby probably felt. I decided that I would show my respect to Abby and her family by going to the memorial service in honor of her mother, Jean. I went with my sorority sister Karen and her family. When we got there, I was completely filled with joy when I saw how many people were there to remember Abby's mom. Within the huge crowds, I noticed that Jean and I had many friends in common from working in the same county. It seems to be that she really was the gem I had always heard about... or as she called herself, The Queen.

I have to share something that occurred tonight during the service. Abby was one of the speakers that spoke in memory of her mom. She opened with how it was her goal to have this time be a time of comedic relief because her mom wouldn't have wanted people to grieve over her. She was very funny... I found myself laughing at her stories. She told us the top 14 things that her mom had taught her from over her 23 years of existence on this Earth. She told all about how she learned things from her... to name just a few... light candles at dinner even when it's not a special occasion, fill up your gas tank when it has lost a quarter because you never know when you'll need it (halfway is risking it), never go ANYWHERE in the dark, eat dinner between 6:00 and 6:30, etc. But the one that truly sticks out to me is #14....

She explained that you can show "I love you" in many ways without saying those three words. Their way of showing this was by blowing kisses to each other. She said that even in her weakest state last week, she was able to pucker her lips. In memory of her mother, everyone in the church looked up and blew kisses. Talk about emotional! This REALLY spoke to me. It really is true. Actions DO speak louder than words. This is such an inspirational story that I know I will carry with me forever.

I hope my post inspires you to know that there is more to life than that crummy day you had at work or that rude comment someone said to you that you just can't get out of your head. It is my prayer that you tell those around you how much you love them :)

I encourage you to read Abby's blog about her mother's journey battling cancer. I haven't read all of her posts, but I've read a lot of them. It is SO amazing to me the courage that Abby and her family have had through all of this... especially her Queen.

God Bless all of you!! I love all of you SO much!!
http://thequeenjean.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment